After the statements made on June 22 by the Attorney General's Office and the National Superintendence of Health, related to the sanction which the Departmental Secretariat of Health received for violating the health rights of the islanders. The Local Government of San Andres allows itself to specify the following information:
- The Government of San Andres is fulfilling its role of inspection, surveillance and control over the operator of the Clarence Lynd Newball Hospital, the Service Provider Institution (IPS Universitaria), and has been the product of this work which has been achieved in the last two months to significantly improve the provision of the service and guarantee the provision of medicines and supplies.
- After the situation that was presented in April, in which, during a control visit by the Secretariat of Health, there were serious failures in the administration of the Hospital; the Departmental Authority requested the change of the operator to the Service Provider Institution (IPS Universitaria) which took place on May 25.
- Today, IPS Universitaria has resumed the management of the Hospital's Administrative Area and the processes of provision of supplies and medicines, thus advancing the normalization of the operation. Likewise, it created the Medisan Temporary Union, which has managed to improve the service considerably.
- The audits carried out by the Superintendence of Health were made in February when the start-up of a solution was still incipient. Today, the reality is another.
There are facts that cannot be ignored:
- The shortage of medicines and supplies has been overcome. Today, the Hospital has availability of 97% and the remaining 3% corresponds to drugs that are outside the Compulsory Health Plan. Likewise,
- the Government has corresponded with the improvement of the hospital infrastructure, intervening the fourth and third floors of the building, repair of roofs and ceilings of the emergency area and of the external consultation areas. These works register advance of 70%.
- The provision of air conditioners was also delivered to all areas that required it, such as the sterilization area, the emergency room, the external consultation area and the observation area, among others.
- To this date, 385 people who work in the Hospital have a new working contract; Contrary to what is indicated by Supersalud, all medical specialties are provided. It is necessary to take into account that some subspecialties such as family medicine or maxillofacial surgery are provided in the Visitors method, every two months according to the required demand of the service.
- There is a commitment on part of IPS Universitaria to pay the existing debt in salaries, parafiscal and liquidation, pending the contract with the previous operator before the end of June. To ensure that all outstanding work obligations with the staff are met, which were left by SALUS GLOBAL PARTNERS, and the Government follows up on the entire procedure.
- Health Promoter Entity (EPS), also have their responsibility in this scenario. Nueva EPS must carry out a contingency plan to catch up with its users in relation to referrals, for which the Secretariat of Health has already requested the updating of the lists and travel planning.
Regarding the handling of hospital waste, it is important to note that the Government verified that this is being stored in accordance with what was planned by the Service Provider Institution (IPS Universitaria), that before the departure of SALUS, the operator that had contracted the process with a company from the islands, has had to put into practice the contingency plan to deactivate and take them off the island by sea to Barranquilla, where their corresponding final disposal will be carried out.
Taking into account all these aspects, the Government of San Andres considers that there are sufficient elements to appeal the decision of the Superintendence of Health in the following days and will request a new verification visit.